Do you hate to clean? I do.
There is nothing worse than realizing that you can’t remember the last time you cleaned the bathroom. This is why I hate to clean! I hate to clean so much that I have raised the bar for the boys so that they can do it – and not me! For ever I struggle with feeling like if someone else did it, I wouldn’t be happy with the results. No sir. Not anymore.
In Martha Stewart’s Living, she offers a great section called Gentle Reminders. Here she frequently gives great ideas of thing that need to be done in your home at that season, like when to clean the windows or the when to clean out the garage. Seriously, I can not even remember the last time I cleaned the windows.
Cleaning doesn’t have to be everyday and it doesn’t have to be perfect every time. I find that if I break the task down into manageable pieces, it doesn’t seem so big. Here are my Top Five Quick Tips to cleaning:
1. Wipe Before You Walk-Away. If you leave a surface, wipe it before you leave it. Doesn’t matter if it’s the bathroom counter or the kitchen counter, just wipe it.
2. Scrap the Scraps. Make sure you toss, recycle or reuse items that are empty, expired or useless. There is no sense keeping things to add to clutter.
3. Manage Mail in the Moment. As soon as you get the mail, recycle all the paper, file what needs to be filed and you will be left with a nice stack of things to review. Don’t hesitate – if you hesitate that is when things get lost, misplaced or left behind.
4. Employ Help. Make sure that everyone in the household has some responsibility to manage or job responsibility. It should not just be one person managing everything (especially the ladies in the house!).
5. Tackle It Tonight. If you can set aside 10-15 minutes every night before you go to be to do those few little tasks that might save you 5 minutes in the morning… it’s worth it. Things like make the coffee, load the dishwasher (or do the dishes) or maybe plan your to-do list for the next day… can be a life saver.